Beckham County Courthouse
Famous Courthouse featured in the movie, "The Grapes of Wrath." This beautiful structure was completed in 1911 at a cost of $69,000. Designed by the architectural firm of Layton, Wemyss Smith and Hawk, it was built by Oklahoma Quarries and Construction Company. The building is a symmetrical blend of Neo-Classical and Second Renaissance Revival styles. Outstanding features included colossal Doric columns above the main entryway, classical pilasters, a grooved surface on the ground floor, and distinctive belt courses. The most unique part of the design was the dome, with a colonnade supporting a vaulted and gabled roof. On top of that was a smaller dome reproduced to scale.
Beckham County Courthouse (added 1984 - Building - #84002968)
Courthouse Sq., Sayre
- Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
- Architect, builder, or engineer: Layton,Smith, & Hawk, Oklahoma Quarries & Construction Co.
- Architectural Style: No Style Listed
- Area of Significance: Politics/Government, Architecture
- Period of Significance: 1900-1924
- Owner: Local Gov't
- Historic Function: Government
- Historic Sub-function: Courthouse
- Current Function: Government
- Current Sub-function: Courthouse